Friday, July 19, 2013

Taiwanese style BBQ baby squid


I love the BBQ squid at night market in Taiwan. I don't know which kind of sauce they use to marinate squid or calamari, so I try to imitate it as mixing the sauce by myself. It seems to be "converged". 
I bought a box of baby squid from Nijia, that's whole squid, so I need to clean them by myself (take time and it's dirty job). Next time I will by the cleaned ones from Wholefood!!!
OK, so all you need is:
1. Ingredients:
- Baby squids: 15 or 1 big calamari (I prefer remove their skin, bone and inner part)
- Sauce: 1/4 cups of rice wine (guess white wine is ok), 2 spoons of brown sugar, 1 spoon of soy sauce, if you have oyster sauce, add 1, some dried red chili, 1 spoon of oil (olive oil).
- Skewer (prefer the metal ones), I got these from Mitsuwa: made in Japan!!!

2. Method:
- Making sauce: Add all sauce ingredients into a small pot, heat until broil then simmer for 5 minutes, the mixture will be thinker. Cook it while you prepare the squid (either clean the baby squid or cut a calamari into smaller pieces)

- After the sauce gets cool (warm is ok), add the squids into the pot, mix well and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree, then skew the squids into skewers

- I use baking setting, for 20 minutes.
- Here is the BBQ squids, the flavor is great, almost similar to what I ate before. You can eat squid with rice, mix with salad, or just squid


No comments:

Post a Comment